Tarot Simplified Definitions
Tarot is a fantastic tool to help you learn more about yourself and your life. While it is a very complex system that goes back hundreds of years, here are some basic definitions to help you get started.
InSpirit Centre is pleased to offer a variety of online and in-person workshops to help you on your tarot journey. We also have a variety of Tarot readers available for readings. These can be in-person or by phone.
0. The Fool - upright theme: Ignorance, novice, new beginnings, insecurity, reversed theme: Fallen, halted progress
1. The Magician - upright theme: Change caused by chance not design, manipulates elements reversed theme: Hesitation and delay
2. The High Priestess - upright theme: Wise Woman, great mother, first teacher reversed theme: Does not lose powers, only delayed
3. The Empress - upright theme: All mother, no aspect of the feminine should be neglected in favour of another, wisdom reversed theme: Too much masculine energy (logic), or unbalanced
4. The Emperor - upright theme: Secular power, cyclic destruction, stern reversed theme: Too much feminine energy (emotion) unbalanced
5. The Pope (Hierophant) - upright theme: Must look deeper for real truth, illusion, practitioner of magic, faith, religion reversed theme: Too much focus doing the “right thing”, illusion
6. The Lovers - upright theme: Romantic love, partnership, making a choice, the hero reversed theme: separation
7. The Chariot - upright theme: We’re not in control even when we think we are, “king of the world” reversed theme: Bad new
8. Justice - upright theme: Balancing pleasure & pain, equilibrium, infinity reversed theme: Loss, injustice
*Justice and Strength are reversed in some decks.
9. The Hermit - upright theme: Seclusion, contemplation, starting journey in opposite direction, looking back reversed theme: Great delay, does not lose many element
10. Wheel of Fortune - upright theme: All cycle of time, letting go of what doesn’t serve you, and welcoming new, positive reversed theme: Difficult transformation
11. Strength - upright theme: Mind can always dominate matter, will power, strength reversed theme: Being overwhelmed or overpowered *Justice and Strength are reversed in some decks.
12. The Hanged Man - upright theme: Ritual Humiliation, uncomfortable trial reversed theme: Possible success but no enjoyment
13. Death - upright theme: Change & Transformation, shift in perception, not circumstantial, end of something reversed theme: Shock, end of something
14. Temperance - upright theme: Love conquers all – sits between death and devil, conquers both, proportion and moderation reversed theme: Loves conquers all – does not change much inverted
15. The Devil - upright theme: Dig deeper for the truth, ask the right question, fraud, trickery, harm, reversed theme: Magnified of negative definitions, harmful
16. Tower of Destruction - upright theme: upright theme: Sudden change of events, fast destruction, breaking down reversed theme: Stronger, bigger downfall
17. The Star - upright theme: Wish fulfilling, harmony, satisfaction reversed theme: Broken harmony
18. The Moon - upright theme: Dark night of the soul, standing at the gates of hell reversed theme: Uneasy state of conscience
19. The Sun - upright theme: Holy male & female twins, triumph and success in all areas reversed theme: Triumph slightly delayed but not destroyed
20. Judgement - upright theme: Final reckoning, complete, one judgment for eternity reversed theme: Fame and glory but only temporary
21 The World - upright theme: Ultimate Reality, bliss, reality itself, triumph reversed theme: Sacrifice, negation of triumph
Suit Of Cups
Pertains to matters of the heart.
Suit Of Wands
Pertains to matters of power.
success or failure,
winning or losing
the game of life
Suit Of Pentacles
Pertains to matters of money.
giving and receiving
Suit Of Swords
Pertains to matters of dire meanings of life.
setbacks & sorrow
Check out our articles and tips page to learn even more about tarot, readings and more!